Canadian National Committee of the Commission Internationale de l’Éclairage(CNC/CIE) The Commission Internationale de l’Éclairage is a world wide technical, scientific and cultural, non-profit organization with its Central Bureau located in Vienna, Austria.
The collective Canadian voice of people interested in the science and art of light and lighting, the CNC/CIE represents Canada to the world. The Government of Canada (through the National Research Council, NRC) pays the annual membership fees for Canadians, and expects Canadians to get involved in the work of the committee. NRC Measurement Science and Standards is responsible for setting up the Canadian National Committee of the CIE and provides its Secretariat.
The Terms of Reference of the CNC/CIE are:
- to collect and reconcile the many views of the Canadian lighting community on relevant issues;
- to identify, represent and promote the capabilities and distinctive competence of its Canadian lighting community internationally;
- to enhance the depth and breadth of the participation of the Canadian lighting community in the activities and events of the CIE and related organizations;
- to establish the mechanisms for communicating to the Canadian lighting community the views of the CIE and information about activities of the CIE;
- to distribute appropriate documentation, including the newsletter of the CIE;
- to attract and stage international events of value to the Canadian lighting community.