- Division 1: Vision and Colour
- To study visual responses to light and to establish standards of response functions, models and procedures of specification relevant to photometry, colorimetry, colour rendering, visual performance and visual assessment of light and lighting.
- Division 2: Physical Measurement of Light and Radiation
- To study standard procedures for the evaluation of ultraviolet, visible and infrared radiation, global radiation, and optical properties of materials and luminaires, as well as the optical properties and performance of physical detectors and other devices required for their evaluation.
- Division 3: Interior Environment and Lighting Design
- To study and evaluate visual factors which influence the satisfaction of the occupants of a building with their environment, and their interaction with thermal and acoustical aspects, and to provide guidance on relevant design criteria for both natural and man-made lighting; as well as to study design techniques, including relevant calculations, for the interior lighting of buildings; incorporating these findings and those of other CIE Divisions into lighting guides for interiors in general, for particular types of interiors and for specific problems in interior lighting practice.
- Division 4: Lighting and Signalling for Transport
- To study lighting and visual signalling and information requirements of transport and traffic, such as road and vehicle lighting, delineation, signing and signalling for all types of public roads and all kinds of users and vehicles, and visual aids for modes other than road transport.
- Division 5: Exterior Lighting and Other Applications
- To study procedures and prepare guides for the design of lighting for exterior working areas, security lighting, flood lighting, pedestrian and other urban areas without motorized traffic, areas for sports and recreation, and for mine lighting.
- Division 6: Photobiology and Photochemistry
- To study and evaluate the effects of optical radiation on biological and photochemical systems (exclusive of vision).
- Division 8: Image Technology
- To study procedures and prepare guides and standards for the optical, visual and metrological aspects of the communication, processing and reproduction of images, using all types of analogue and digital imaging devices, storage media and imaging media.
(There is no Division 7)